Home > Master's Programs > Our Master's Programs
M2 Optics, Matter and Plasmas
Each of the three tracks includes a research internship in addition to the courses.
a) Laser / matter track (professor in charge at École Polytechnique: Antigoni Alexandrou):
- Compulsory courses: Laser physics; Nonlinear electromagnetism and optics; Structure and electronic dynamics: from atom to solid; Laser-atom interaction; Complements in quantum mechanics.
- Two courses among: Molecular structure characterization by spectroscopy; Statistical approach in molecular systems; Statistical mechanics of systems out of equilibrium; Hot plasma physics.
- Four courses among: Optoelectronics; Quantum physics of complex systems; Entanglement in quantum physics: theory and experiment; Cold collisions, cold molecules; Matter-radiation interaction: cold matter; Ultrashort optical pulse and applications; Subcritical plasma: application to plasma accelerator and harmonics; Overcritical plasma: application to fast ignition; Laser-plasma interaction; X radiation from hot plasmas; The molecule in the universe; Interfaces and nanoreactivity; Photo-induced processes in complex molecular systems.
b) Optics from science to technology track (professor in charge at École Polytechnique: Marc Châtelet):
- Compulsory courses: Lasers; Nonlinear electromagnetism; Coherent optics; Guidance and coupling of optical waves; Condensed matter physics; Semiconductor detectors and sources; Experimental techniques and experimental work.
- Four courses among: Biophotonics; Optoelectronic components; Electromagnetic components; Electromagnetic diffusion; Extreme optics; Imaging through turbulence; Quantum optics; Display, visualization; Electrooptics, Optoelectronics and Optical Communications; Semiconductor materials for nonlinear optics; Near-field microscopy; Nanophotonics; Thin layer optics; Optics of nanostructured materials.
c) Plasma physics track (professor in charge at École Polytechnique: Catherine Krafft):
- Compulsory courses: Fluid and kinetic models; Nonlinear phenomena in plasmas; Waves in plasmas; Instabilities in plasmas; Cold plasmas and diagnostics; Modelling and numerical methods for plasmas and fusion.
- Four courses among: Astrophysical plasmas I; Astrophysical plasmas II; Plasmas and environment; Plasmas for micro / nanotechnologies; Ultrahigh intensity lasers; Magnetic thermonuclear fusion; Nonlinear dynamics and structures in plasmas; Laser-plasma interaction.
Host laboratories at École Polytechnique for internships and PhD